Sunday, May 17, 2009

Goodbye Robins

Today our robbins fledged. I didn't even notice it happened until this afternoon when I came around to the patio. All of a sudden there was a flutter and there were two lil birds out of the nest. One was on the patio and one in the flowers. Then disaster struck as one flew into the road and was hit by a SUV. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. RIP little robin. I watched the other one fly on to the neighbor's house so I guess he's OK. We're assuming the other two left earlier and are still alive. The wild thing is that they will not be returning to the nest (they will sleep in tree branches). So now our front yard is eerily quite and somewhat lonely but it was fun while it lasted. Good luck and goodbye sweet robins. Stop by and say hi once in a while....we'll leave some food and water out.

2 comments:

Hidden Places said...

We can hear the baby bluebirds in the box beside our nightly table, and wonder when they will be ready to leave..... We can't watch them tho, the mom gets a little spooked just having us sit that close.

Holli said...

That is soooo sad about the one running into the vehicle. :( Will you leave your porch light on for them?