Sunday, May 3, 2009

a different view

this is an email from my mom telling us about their weekend with the girls. i found it very funny & maybe you will as well. grandparents...adeline & amelia are very lucky to have such wonderful & dedicated grandparents. so thanks scott & karen, sue & bruce!

A few info bits on our visit with Addy and Amelia -- we'll just name them the super-energy-double A batteries.......

  • Grandmum learned to sleep on little more than 12 inches of mattress with a little cuddlesome leach name Addy nearly on top of her all night.....She twisted and turned and turned and turned until I feared poor Little Bear would be nothing but a corkscrew.
  • Addy and Gmum walked 3/4 of a mile around to see the lake, then she LOVED sitting on the dock, even though she was a bit afraid. We watched the duck swimming out in the lake, then it headed back to shore and I asked her where was the duck swimming to, and she said "Addy". She was so disappointed when it swam to it's buddies further down shore.
  • Addy made friends with all of the neighbors and waved hi to everyone she saw. We practiced standing off the road when we saw a car coming and looking both ways before stepping back into the road.
  • Addy and Popop filled up all the bird feeders. Addy watched for birds to come in to feed and especially liked the big black crows and/or grackles, so even Popop had to smile when he saw them.
  • Amelia sees eating food as secondary to having a SPOON. She loved sitting in her chair looking at her spoon, banging her spoon, lifting it over her head (she has the cutest chubbiest arms) and just all around admiring the utensil from every known angle.
  • Amelia LOVES grass. She wants to sit on it, stroke it, talk to it, lay on it, roll in it.
  • Amelia fell in love with her Popop. He held her, or played with her or entertained her or walked her all day Sunday while she was feeling somewhat out of sorts. She also learned a few baseball terms which we hope she will not remember......
  • Addy and Popop played ball outside Saturday morning. She laughed and laughed and ran him tired.
  • Amelia has the sweetest baby smile around. I think she should be in commercials. We go to great lengths to get her to smile just to see it.
  • Gmum scared Amelia when her hair was wet.
  • Amelia, Addy, Gmum and Popop walked down to see Chloe and Zoe and Uncle Scott. Amelia felt a bit overwhelmed so Gmum started to walk her home. She started to cry (read scream) so I came back and traded strollers. She calmed down until I got too far to turn back, then screamed the rest of the way. I think she did not trust her driver. We came inside, I rocked her and she was asleep in 3 minutes. It was so sad, her little eyes were so red and she was so upset.
  • Addy half woke up Saturday night and cried, and I asked her what was wrong and she said "DADDY", then I said 'we will see daddy today', and then she cried and said "MOMMY", and I said we will see mommy today, then she settled in a bit close when she had like 4 feet leftover on her side of the bed, and went back to sleep. Then she started to dream and she laughed, so I am guessing she was dreaming of being at home with something funny.
  • Addy does a hard belly laugh when Gmum takes the suds out of the dishwater and blows them over the kitchen. She can laugh for half an hour watching that, and I can just keep blowing suds everywhere, not even caring if I can only hear her laugh.
Other than poor little Amelia having difficulty, we had a really good time. We honestly don't know how we did it all those years ago with all those kids -- our house is trashed, Addy looked like a raggamuffin most of the time (she is like a Houdini costume changer -- she was out of clothes by Saturday noon), and Amelia was lost more than once...... (she can back herself into the most oblique corners) I could tell Addy really started to miss home about midnight Saturday night when she woke up crying. Amelia started missing home about 4pm Friday..... ;)

Amelia really loved to play on the floor of the baby room. She is quite the little explorer.

When we started out today, Addy had a bit of a meltdown because Popop didn't think the DVD player would work in our car and put it in the trunk. Gmum thought it would be worth a try after 3 minutes and got it out, but alas, it would not work, so I turned around and said "Daddy will have to fix it". And Addy wiped her tears and laughed and nodded her head and said "Daddy", then I would say "FIX IT!" and she would laugh and nod her head, so we said that all the way there. Every once in a while she seemed to go equal opportunity and would say "Mommy" and point at the DVD player, and I would say "FIX IT!", and she would laugh and nod her head "Yes!" Addy seems to have the utmost confidence that her Daddy can fix anything, and if he can't, then Mommy can.

When we pulled out of the Wal Mart parking lot, after watching Dora around 37 times this weekend, your dad and I looked at each other and I started to sing "We DID It!"........

love mum

No comments: