Friday, December 12, 2008

catastrophic thinking

so, i have this situation that i need to let everyone know about. something i think about more than i'd like to admit...it can take up chunks of half hours throughout the day...just b/c i want to figure it out! wes & i are here talking about it AGAIN, so i guess i better see what anyone else has to say about it. here it is:

i'm driving with both girls down a road. the road has a pond, lake, river beside it. i have to swerve the car to miss a deer (or in sometimes, it's icy & the car goes off the road). the car goes into the pond/river/lake. WHAT DO I DO?! i have two girls strapped in car seats & me in a seat belt, automatic locks & windows...egads. how do i get us all out alive?

i think this bothers me b/c i'm not such a good swimmer, but i'm fairly good in a crisis, so i could handle it, but it would have to be perfect. there's the whole thing about the air being used, water pushing onto the car, so a door won't open & automatic locks & windows will shut down in the water.

SEE! this is scary!

i plot out my course every time, but i'm never satisfied... first get me out of the seat belt, then addy, put her in the front seat. then get amelia out, then holding addy in my legs (so she won't be swept away from the gush of water) & amelia in my left arm, i somehow break the window & then grab addy & then try to swim up. impossible? let me know what you think. unless you're kristi or cal & then you'll just tell me this is 'catastrophic thinking' & i should stop thinking about it. but...i need a plan.

this all started again after i found a "glass window breaker tool" in a sahalie magazine. perfect! it's on my christmas list (in addition to a personal trainer & a SAHM emergency/illness day care, both are pretty out of my reach).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not crazy...or otherwise we both are. Scott and I have went over this same scenario! I think I need one of those tools also.What if you went to the back seat to get the girls out and broke the back glass bc it's bigger and all 3 of you could fit through easily? I think the constant thinking about this is due to having 2 children.......our worst fear is not having enough time and only being able to get one child!

Gerbicks said...

YES! only being able to get one kid out is also something i worry about...which is another reason to stop at 2! i knew i wasn't that crazy.

Kristin said...

This is not crazy...I have a friend that won't buy a car with automatic windows for this reason. I know you have thought this through, but there are basically two scenarios, right? So, if the windows are up, the car will float for a little while and you should have time to think and get both kids before water pressure is an issue on the windows. If the windows are down, the water pressure will quickly equalize inside and out and you should be able to push through the water more easily. If you didn't think about these things, you wouldn't be a mom. I have spent considerable time thinking about how I would stop someone from snatching Emmy...even in the house. I am fully ready to snag her and head into the attic, dropping down into the garage, out the window and to one of my well armed neighbors houses.

Unknown said...

This may be a recurring nightmare because of your past experiences - driving to Orville, deep ditches full of water, climbing out your back window -- I think you would do fine.

Plus, even if you are dinged on the head, fast thinking and fast acting Addy will get a light-bulb look on her face and say "I will do this" and be out of her car seat and working on Amelia's before you could blink twice......